Wii U Sales Surpass 800,000 Plus other Nintendo Sales Data
Nintendo has released sales data for the first six weeks that the Wii U has been on the market. While they haven’t passed the million mark yet, Nintendo is closing in with nearly 890,000 units sold since November 18, 2012. In December, Nintendo sold 460,000 units and approximately 430,00 units in November. Sales data also points to a attachment rate of more than 65% for New Super Mario Bros. U with 580,ooo copies being sold; that’s close to 2 out of every 3 people with a Wii U that also own New Super Mario Bros. U.
Nintendo 3DS sold 1.25 million in December which brings total sales up to 7.7 million since launch.New Super Mario Bros. 2 has reached 1.45 million in lifetime sales which makes it the fourth 3DS game to cross the million mark. Nintendo is selling more 3DS units than it did during the same period with the Nintendo DS.
For all the sales data, check out the latest press release below.
WII U HARDWARE SALES SURPASS WII SALES BY MORE THAN $30 MILLION THROUGH FIRST SIX WEEKS
Jan. 10, 2013
With more than 460,000 units sold in December, Wii U has now sold nearly 890,000 units in the United States after only 41 days on the market, according to the NPD Group. To date, Wii U hardware sales have generated more than $300 million in the U.S. alone; Wii hardware had generated just more than $270 million at the same point in its lifecycle.
“While the Wii launch established new benchmarks in the United States, Wii U has surpassed its predecessor in perhaps the most important category: revenue generation,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The demand for the Deluxe SKU, which was essentially sold out at retail this holiday, and the strong attach rate of New Super Mario Bros. U, shows that we have the value and the games to drive momentum in 2013. We look forward to offering great new experiences and bringing smiles to millions of new faces throughout the year.”
Nintendo sold more than 2.65 million hardware units in the United States in the month of December. 2012 marked the 11th consecutive year that Nintendo has sold at least 8 million hardware units in the U.S. Other Nintendo sales milestones achieved in December 2012 and beyond that time frame, include:
- New Super Mario Bros. U has now sold more than 580,000 units, an attach rate of more than 65 percent.
- Nintendo 3DS sold more than 1.25 million units in December and has crossed 7.7 million units sold life to date.
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 became the fourth Nintendo 3DS title to surpass 1 million units sold in the U.S., and has now sold more than 1.45 million units life to date.
- Nintendo 3DS continues to outpace the historic sales rate of Nintendo DS.
- Wii sold nearly 475,000 units and crossed 40.8 million units sold life to date.
- Ubisoft’s Just Dance 3 became the 10th Wii title to sell more than 5 million units life to date.
- Nintendo DS sold nearly 470,000 units and crossed 53 million units sold life to date.
For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.
*Note that all data referenced in this document is from The NPD Group’s December report, which covers the period of Nov. 25 through Dec. 29, and is for the United States only.