Riki, from the gigantic Xenoblade Chronicles, will also appear in Super Smash Bros. as an assist trophy. This is in addition to his appearance as part of Shulk’s Final Smash.
Category Archives: Wii U
Press Release: Super Smash Bros., amiibo, Pokémon and New Hardware Bundles Star in Nintendo’s Holiday Line Up
SUPER SMASH BROS., amiibo, POKÉMON AND NEW HARDWARE BUNDLES STAR IN NINTENDO’S HOLIDAY LINEUP
Pre-Orders for First 12 amiibo Figures Kick off Nintendo’s Holiday Season
VANCOUVER, B.C., Aug. 29, 2014 – Nintendo has prepared a massive lineup of new games and products for the 2014 holiday season. The lineup includes new entries from some of the biggest franchises in gaming, new hardware bundles for Wii U and Nintendo 2DS, and new amiibo interactive figures featuring some of the most iconic characters in the world of video games.
The holiday shopping season begins soon for Nintendo fans, as the first 12 amiibo interactive figures become available for pre-order at a suggested retail price of just $13.99 each. The first dozen characters available for pre-order at select retailers are Mario, Peach, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, with more on the way in the future.
“Nintendo’s holiday offerings demonstrate a combination of fun franchises and great value,” said Ron Bertram, Nintendo of Canada’s vice-president and general manager. “With Wii U and Nintendo 2DS hardware bundles, classic names like Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta and Pokémon, new IP like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, andamiibo, everyone will find something to love about Nintendo this holiday season. Whether people are shopping for themselves or they’re prepping their gift lists, Nintendo has them covered.”
Here’s a taste of what Nintendo has on tap for the 2014 holiday season:
- Major Franchises: Nintendo has four games from two of the most well-known franchises launching this year:
o Super Smash Bros.: The Wii U game and the first portable game in the series are getting ready for their debuts. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS launches October 3, with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U following during the holiday season. Fans who register both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions of the games with Club Nintendo will receive the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U: Premium Sound Selection, a soundtrack CD packed with music taken from and inspired by the games. More details about this offer will be provided in the future. Also, in a separate announcement this morning, Nintendo revealed that Shulk from the Xenoblade Chronicles franchise would be a playable character in both games.
o Pokémon: Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire for Nintendo 3DS will hit stores and the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS on November 21. Trainers will catch, battle and trade Pokémon as they immerse themselves into a grand tale that draws ever closer to the heart of the secrets behind Mega Evolution and the power of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. With beautifully rendered graphics and new challenges to overcome, these games are a true evolution in the Pokémon series.
- Interactive amiibo Figures: Nintendo’s foray into the toys-to-life category starts today, with the first 12 amiibo figures available to pre-order from select retailers soon. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which launches this holiday season, will be the first game with full integration of amiibo functionality. Other games that will support amiibo include Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Mario Party 10 and Yoshi’s Woolly World, with more to come. More details on amiibo functionality with the various games and a launch date will be revealed shortly.
- Bayonetta 2: The witch is back on October 24. The game features over-the-top battles with wild weapons that take place in gorgeous set pieces. A new snake transformation lets Bayonetta better navigate underwater. The original Bayonetta game, complete with some Nintendo cosplay options for the powerful heroine, comes bundled with the retail packaged version of Bayonetta 2.
- New Hardware Bundles Available This Fall: Everyone loves a deal. Three new Nintendo hardware bundles are set to deliver more value and more options to holiday shoppers:
o Super Mario 3D World Deluxe Set: Starting mid-September, the new Wii U Deluxe Set will include the Wii U console and physical Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land games at a suggested retail price of $299.99.
o Walmart ExclusiveMario Kart 8 Deluxe Set: Walmart stores nationwide will offer a special-edition Wii U bundle that includes the console along with physical Mario Kart 8 and Nintendo Land games at a suggested retail price of $299.99. This exclusive bundle will be available while supplies last starting September 25.
o New Nintendo 2DS Bundles: In early October, three new Nintendo 2DS bundles will hit stores. The new bundles feature the Electric Blue, Crimson Red or Sea Green Nintendo 2DS system along with a code to download Mario Kart 7 from the Nintendo eShop. The bundles will be available at a suggested retail price of $129.99 each.
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: This holiday season, everybody’s favourite intrepid explorer, Captain Toad, stars in his own quest through maze-like mini-universes – only on Wii U. Each little world Captain Toad visits is a unique microcosm filled with tricks to solve, traps to avoid and treasure to find.
- Hyrule Warriors DLC: This mashup of Dynasty Warriors and The Legend of Zelda already includes a large amount of content. Nintendo plans to support the game for the long run with more content to help players expand their adventures even farther. That program kicks off when the game launches on September 26. People who buy the game will receive access to a free download that adds a new mode, a new weapon and the option to select music to add to the Hyrule Warriors experience. As detailed in a recent Nintendo Direct, consumers who pre-order the game at select retailers will receive a free download code for a set of alternate in-game costumes for Link and Zelda. Additionally, anyone who registers the game with Club Nintendo will receive a free download code for a set of alternate costumes for Ganondorf. All of these additional costumes will become available for purchase in the Nintendo eShop in the near future. Further details on timing and pricing will be announced at a later time.
- Pokémon Art Academy: This Nintendo title is coming to stores and the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS on October 24. The game teaches basic and advanced art techniques throughout 40 lessons and encourages artists to draw their favourite Pokémon and bring them to life with a large variety of tools. They can also share their Pokémon masterpieces by posting them to Miiverse, or saving them to the SD Card and printing them out.
- Art Academy (working title): This new entry in the Art Academy franchise is a download-exclusive application that incorporates the touch screen of the Wii U GamePad controller. Users learn, create and share with in-depth step-by-step lessons accessible even to novice artists, using the large Wii U GamePad screen as the canvas. The game is scheduled to launch in 2014.
- Ultimate NES Remix: This new Nintendo 3DS game will be available in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS on December 5 at a suggested retail price of $29.99 USD. The game features rapid-fire challenges and mashups from a selection of 16 of Nintendo’s finest 8-bit games. Regional online leaderboards will let players see how they stack up against others in their area, and Championship Mode offers a series of challenges from three different games. Canadian pricing may vary at the time of availability.
- NES Remix Pack: Wii U fans can also get into the 8-bit mix on December 5, with a new game that combines the original NES Remix and NES Remix 2 games for Wii U into one package. NES Remix Pack will be available in stores at a suggested retail price of $29.99 USD. Both NES Remix and NES Remix 2 games remain available in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U for $14.99 USD each. Canadian pricing may vary at the time of availability.
- Fantasy Life: Available in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS on October 24, Fantasy Life lets players become the masters of their destinies as choices they make help determine their own Fantasy Life. Players can easily change their Life Class at any time and experience how each offers a new perspective on the world. Local and online multiplayer options let friends share the adventure, the exploration and the bounty.A downloadable content pack called Origin Island – available for purchase from the Nintendo eShop starting on October 24 – will extend the Fantasy Life adventure even further. Origin Island offers a new area that is home to an ancient culture and powerful enemies, additional story content, new ranks to achieve in Life Classes, access to even more powerful equipment and two new varieties of pets to adopt: birds and dragons.
- Two Deluxe Downloadable Kirby Games: Bounce or battle with two new titles available today at $7.49 each in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. Dedede’s Drum Dash Deluxe and Kirby Fighters Deluxe are standalone downloadable games that first made an appearance in Kirby: Triple Deluxe, and are now updated with enhanced game-play features. In Dedede’s Drum Dash Deluxe, players move Dedede across the stage, bouncing to the beat in seven new stages exclusive to this downloadable version. In Kirby Fighters Deluxe, players use different copy abilities to defeat all of the arena opponents. This version includes five new stages and a new team battle feature. Players who already own Kirby: Triple Deluxe with StreetPass data will get bonus content in both downloadable games.
- Indie Games: Nintendo loves indie content, and a number of downloadable games exclusive to the Nintendo eShop are on their way this year.
o Curve Digital’s Stealth Inc 2 combines the best elements of puzzle solving, action platforming and stealth game play into a game that’s all about hiding in the shadows.The game includes a two-player co-op mode, level editor, off-TV play and Miiverse integration. The game launches for Wii U in the fall.
o Swords & Soldiers II is a side-scrolling action strategy game from Ronimo Games launching this holiday season for Wii U. The game includes 20 story missions and lets players buy units, cast spells and build structures to overwhelm enemies on a 2D battleground.
o Azure Striker GUNVOLT from Inti Creates launches today exclusively for Nintendo 3DS. Featuring the talents of Keiji Inafune, the creator of the Mega Man series, the game takes the best aspects of Japanese 16-bit classics and updates them with new play mechanics and slick graphics. For a limited time, the game comes with a free digital version of the 8-bit nostalgia-fueled Mighty GUNVOLT as well.
- New Themes for Nintendo 3DS HOME Menu: Following a system update in October, Nintendo will be introducing new Nintendo 3DS HOME menu themes that change the menu background, icons and folders, and music and sound effects. Themes will be available for purchase from a Theme Shop that will be added to the HOME menu. More details will be announced in the future.
- Third-Party Games: More than 60 games from Nintendo’s third-party partners are launching for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS before the end of year, with more great content coming in early 2015. The 2014 list is highlighted by Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric for Wii U and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal for Nintendo 3DS from SEGA, which introduce two unique and epic adventures as Sonic and team work together to stop the evil villain Lyric. Players can play as multiple characters, each with his or her own abilities, as they explore, fight and speed through an undiscovered land. Each game features its own individual story and game-play features.
Those that will buy both Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be able to snatch a copy of the game’s soundtrack. All you will need to do is register both games on Club Nintendo and you will receive a special soundtrack.
- Jump: higher jumps, lower defense.
- Speed: faster movement, weaker attacks.
- Shield: higher defense, slower movement.
- Buster: stronger attacks, weaker launch ability.
- Smash: Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.
Also, as seen in the above trailer, Riki and Dunban will make appearances in the game, as well as the expansive and gorgeous Gaur Plains.
Starting today, Blok Drop U will be offered for 50% off ($0.99) in the Nintendo eShop. This sale will last until 9:00 a.m. PST on September 25.
Temple of Yog, a roguelike adventure game being developed by CHUDCHUD Industries, will be coming exclusively to the Wii U eShop and plans to utilize the Wii U GamePad in a unique way.
Gamers will have to progress through procedurally generated dungeons that span the TV screen and Wii U GamePad screen. Players will take control of “tributes” of random class and stats as they venture through the game’s dungeons. Upon dying, aka providing a sacrifice for the temple, the game world will grow into a more advanced form.
The unique aspect of Temple of Yog comes when players must venture between two worlds: one of light and one of shadow. The Light world will be represented on the TV and the Shadow world on the Wii U GamePad. What might be a butterfly in the light world could be a hellbeast in the Shadow world. This type of asynchronous gameplay is what makes the Wii U unique and it certainly looks like it will serve a great purpose in Temple of Yog.
Wii U eShop
Nintendo 3DS eShop
- Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney – Available August 29
- Azure Striker GUNVOLT – $14.99 ($15.99)
- MIGHTY GUNVOLT – $3.99 ($4.49)
- Thorium Wars: Attack of the Skyfighter – $7.99
- Outback Pet Rescue 3D
Nintendo eShop Sales and Price Reductions
- Select Wii U and 3DS Capcom games will be up to 60% off until 8:59 a.m. PST on Sept. 4.
- Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo will be 50% off starting Sept. 3 through 8:59 a.m. PST on Sept. 24.
- Soccer Up 3D will be 71% off until 9:00 a.m. PST on Sept. 17.
- Splinter Cell Blacklist is being reduced to $19.99 permanently starting Sept. 1.
Update – August 27, 2014:
The DLC has been officially confirmed for North America. This news comes from the Mercedes Benz update itself. The update adds a store to Mario Kart 8 that gives us information regarding the game’s upcoming DLC. Included in the information is the pricing structure for North America. Each DLC pack will cost $7.99 a piece, while fans can purchase a bundle containing both packs for $11.99. Fans can also pre-purchase the DLC content, which will actually immediately unlock the different colored Yoshis and Shy Guys.
— — —
Somebody over at Nintendo’s official UK store may have been a little click happy today. Just as the Mercedes Benz free DLC pack is about to launch for Mario Kart 8, news of The Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing, and F-Zero coming to Mario Kart 8 surfaces.
Yes, what you just read seems to be correct. Two huge DLC packs seem to be planned for Mario Kart 8 with the first being released in November, and the second in May of 2015. Each DLC pack will contain three new characters, four new vehicles, and two new cups with four tracks each. Essentially, Mario Kart 8 will have a total of 48 tracks after May of 2015.
The first DLC pack is being dubbed The Legend of Zelda X Mario Kart 8 – AOC (add-on content) Pack. This AOC pack will add Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, and Link as playable characters, the Blue Falcon vehicle, and 8 tracks with one being Wario’s Gold Mine from Mario Kart Wii.
The second DLC pack will presumably be title Animal Crossing X Mario Kart 8 – AOC Pack. This pack will bring Villager, Isabelle, and Dry Bowser to Mario Kart 8, as well as four new vehicles, and another two new cups with four tracks each.
Both packs are being advertised at the price of £7.00 (probably $9.99 for North Americans). Also, a bonus for buying both packs is being advertised, as well. This bonus will add eight different-coloured Yoshis and eight different-coloured Shy Guys. That’s how you provide value to the consumer.
RCMADIAX and Leuvsion are teaming up to bring Blok Drop X Twisted Fusion to the Wii U this fall. The game will combine the physics based gameplay of Blok Drop U with the art of Leuvsion. No other details have been announced as of now, but here are a couple of screenshots for you to enjoy.
Published by Nnooo and developed by 3 Sprockets, Cubemen 2 will be released on September 4, 2014 for $7.99 (€7.99 / £6.99 / AUD$10.49).
Cubemen 2 will feature both cross-platform multiplayer across Wii U, PC, Linux, Mac, and iOS, as well as user generated content, of which 8000+ user generated levels will be available at launch. Wii U owners will be able to play against computer opponents in single player, or against/with up-to 6 players online.
Source: PR e-mail
Wii U eShop
- Disney Infinity – First time on the Nintendo eShop and it’s free to download. However, you do need a Disney Infinity base and Disney Infinity characters to play.
- Midtown Crazy Race – $4.99
Nintendo 3DS eShop
- Mega Man 6 (NES on Wii U) – $4.99
- Life Force (NES on Wii U) – $4.99
- Xtreme Sports (GBC on 3DS) – $4.99
Nintendo eShop Sales
- Abyss will be 25% off until 9 a.m. PST on Sept. 10.
- Chasing Aurora will be 50% off until 9 a.m. PST on Sept. 11.
- Nano Assault Neo will be 25% off until 9 a.m. PST on Sept. 11.
- Boulder Dash-XL 3D will be 66% off until 9 a.m. PST on August 27.
- European Conqueror 3D will be 30% off until 9 a.m. PST on Sept. 4.
- AeternoBlade will be reduced to $9.99 (from $14.99) until 9 a.m. PST on Sept. 7.
- Nano Assault EX will be 25% off until 9 a.m. PST on Sept. 11.
- Quell Reflect will be 30% off until 9 a.m. PST on Sept. 11.
- Aqua Moto Racing will be 25% off until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 18.
To the dismay of many Super Smash Bros. and Zelda fans, the Demon Lord Ghirahim will be an assist trophy in the new Super Smash Bros. game. Fans, including myself, really wanted Ghirahim to be a new representative for The Legend of Zelda series.